Community Climate Action Podcast & Upcoming Workshop + We’re Hiring!
Just a few quick things for you today!
- Our latest podcast episode with Seattle’s Director of Sustainability
- Upcoming workshop on community climate action
- We’re hiring a Content Publishing & Social Media Manager
Local Climate Action: Insider Info, Strategy, and Tips
In line with our monthly theme of organizing for climate action in your community, we recently had Seattle’s Director of Sustainability, Jessyn Farrell, join us on the CS podcast for a fun and insightful conversation.
Jessyn brings a unique and helpful perspective to community climate action as she has been involved with it from several different angles – first as an advocate, directing a transportation-focused nonprofit, then as a lawmaker for the state of Washington’s House of Representatives, and now as the Director of Seattle’s Office of Environment and Sustainability.
We covered a lot of ground in this interview including:
- The most effective ways for people to influence local politicians.
- How policy actually gets written (for better or worse).
- Advice for anyone running for office.
- The importance of meeting people where they are, listening, and addressing injustices.
- A story about the time she prevented fossil fuel lobbyists from destroying a multi-billion dollar bill by hiding in the bathroom…
Jessyn has some really great stories and advice for anyone who wants to make change at a local level so highly recommend you check it out!
Upcoming Workshop on Community Climate Action
Just a quick reminder that we have an awesome workshop planned for you on Wednesday, May 31st at 12 pm EDT.
If you’re someone who is taking climate action in your community or would like to start doing so, join us for a workshop with an all-star community organizer from Florida, Katrina Erwin!
I saw what she has planned for you – whoever comes is in for a treat!
Friendly reminder – taking action at the local level is one of the most effective levers we can push on 🙂
Join us to get the tools and inspiration to become a climate leader (or a more effective one!) in your community!
We’re hiring a Content Publishing & Social Media Manager
We are very excited to be looking for a new teammate whose overarching mission will be to:
- Ensure our newsletters get to our community (hundreds of thousands of people) on time and look amazing.
- This means uploading, quality-checking, finding or designing cover photos, and scheduling already-written newsletters to be published on Convertkit, our website, LinkedIn, and Medium.
- Spread awareness, empower people, and help grow our community through social media strategy and management!
- Create authentic high-quality social media posts that capture the essence of and further disseminate the newsletter, podcast, and upcoming community events so we can connect and empower even more people to become climate changemakers.
Some high-level details:
- Part-time position, fully remote (you can be anywhere in the world).
- Up to ~5 hours a week to start. Somewhat flexible hours, but need to be able to work on Tuesdays. (Our newsletters are published at 7 am ET Wednesday mornings, so you will need to be available to work on Tuesday afternoons/evenings to ensure everything is scheduled and ready to go!)
- ~ $20 to $30 / hour depending on experience.
- You will work with and report to the Founder/Executive Director (that’s me!)
We would love to bring on someone from our community if it’s a good fit 🙂
All the best,