Sustainable Banking & Investing Webinar Next Week!
Two quick things for you this week:
- We’re hosting a Sustainable Banking & Investing Webinar on Friday, March 3rd at 3:00 PM EST with an all-star panel to help you understand the carbon footprint of our cash and what we can do about it – both personally and in our organizations.
- Check out an important TED Talk on “The Blind Spots of the Green Energy Transition”.
Sign up for the Sustainable Banking & Investing Webinar!
We know the mainstream financial institutions are fueling the climate crisis by continuing to invest trillions into new fossil fuel exploration, infrastructure, and development.
And we’ve heard from many of you that you’d like to learn how to divest from fossil fuels and reinvest in climate solutions.
So on Friday, March 3rd from 3:00 to 4:15 PM EST, we’ll be joined by experts on sustainable banking and investing to help you better understand the impact of your money and/or your organization’s money today, and what you can do going forward to make sure that money is supporting climate solutions instead of climate collapse.
We’ll cover a range of topics including:
- How your money and/or your organization’s money are likely supporting fossil fuels through the mainstream banking and investing industry.
- What you and your organization can do to change your money’s impact, and to help change the destructive financial industry overall.
- Why it all matters – the impact of the status quo compared to climate-positive financial solutions.
Our panelists are:
- Andrew Behar → CEO of As You Sow which is the nation’s leading non-profit practitioner of shareholder advocacy and engagement.
- Ravi Mikkelsen → Co-founder & CEO of Atmos Financial which is a 100% climate-positive bank on a mission to finance the rapid transition to a clean economy for all.
- Vanessa Fajans-Turner → Executive Director of BankFWD which is accelerating climate action in the banking sector and recently helped publish the Carbon Bankroll Report .
We will facilitate a discussion with the panelists for about an hour and then have 15-20 minutes of Q&A with people who tune in live.
If you can’t make it, feel free to send us any questions you have by replying to this email and we’ll do our best to get you answers!
Hope to see you there!
“The Blind Spots of the Green Energy Transition”
We’ve been doing a lot on electrification lately. So I think it’s important we zoom out for a comprehensive look at what this transition entails. One thing that is clear is that there are actually many different paths we could take to electrify everything. So it’s important to understand what the differences in those paths are and what each would mean. That way we can choose the best one for people and the planet.
In this TED Talk, Olivia Lazard focuses on how much and where we’re going to have to dig for the materials needed for the transition to clean energy – and what that means for planetary security and geopolitics.
A couple key quotes:
“Decarbonization is the way forward. There’s not one single doubt allowed about this. But the way forward also demands of us that we start imagining our future beyond decarbonization already.”
“Our modern economies have advanced and grown for two centuries through the gigantic blind spot of fossil fuel exploitation and its unintended consequences. The big lesson here is that we can’t afford to just shift to a different set of energies, technologies, and materials without paying attention to the unintended consequences.“
This is an eye-opening talk and a critically important topic for us to pay attention to as people who care about reversing global heating and building a safe, healthy, and just future for all. Be sure to check it out!
And, if you have questions as you’re watching, write them down and send them to us. We’ll be doing a deeper dive into this in next week’s newsletter!