California Will Have 100% Clean Electricity by 2045
California legislators passed a bill, called SB100, that requires:
- 100% carbon-free electricity by 2045.
- 60% renewable energy by 2030
- 50% renewable energy by 2026
This new law is historical.
As the 5th largest economy in the world, California is incredibly influential. The law sends a clear and lucrative market signal incentivizing greater competition and innovation to eliminate GHG emissions from California’s power grid. Additionally, other countries and states look to California as a role model. This may give them the confidence and social proof they need to take action. Many are sure to follow in California’s footsteps.
This legislation comes on the back of some serious clean energy/economic momentum in California including:
- A recent law expected to save Californian’s $1.7 billion in energy costs over the next thirty years. The law updated energy efficiency standards and requires solar on all new homes starting in 2020.
- Since 2001 GDP increased by 37%, while GHG emissions decreased by 10%. It’s clear that this is a win-win.
Read other content from the “Exciting” section or see all sections of the What on EARTH?! sustainability newsletter.